Monday, February 21, 2011

Dropped Cheese

My red-head is very strong-willed. And impulsive. I say go; she stops. I say stand still; she runs off. I say lay down; she stands. Up, down. Left, right. Go, stop. Walk, run. No, yes. All day long we do this.
The other day she had requested a band-aid. And although my rule is typically "no blood, no band-aid", I caved and let her have one. Five minutes later, the boo boo was healed and the uber-expensive fancy band aid she insists on having was off. I sighed and told her "Ok, here's the thing. #1... No more band-aids unless there's blood. #2, you don't get one next time you ask." Without missing a beat, my child told me "And #3, I DO get a band-aid any time I ask!" It's little things like band aid conversations that we have all day long.
I give her choices A and B; she will ALWAYS choose C.
And bless her heart, she will try and talk her way out of anything.
Tonight, she INSISTED she needed one more little snack before bed. She wanted a banana. We're out, I told her. She wanted an apple; I wasn't cutting one, I said. She told me she wanted fruit, but of course accepting my offer of grapes wasn't acceptable. She chose cheese. And in true Abbie fashion, she ate 3/4 of it and said she didn't like it. (Because to say "I'm done" would be to admit that she'd once again dramatically insisted on something she didn't need or hardly even want ;-) ). I explained that she had requested that snack even AFTER brushing her teeth and, by golly, she was gonna finish that last bite of cheese. I throw enough food in the trash every day to feed the whole neighborhood, thank you!
And what did my darling do? She PUT the cheese ON THE FLOOR. Didn't drop it. PUT it on the floor and picked it up and said "Well, it fell on the ground. I can't eat it now" Then she pranced over to the trash can and threw it away.
I turned to my mother and told her "I thought the deceitful behavior came LATER in life" She just looked at me and said "well, she is YOUR daughter".
I love my daughter with all of my heart. I do. But she is too smart for her own good sometimes!
That's all that's on my mind tonight ;-)

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment