Thursday, September 2, 2010

One of the weird things I do....

My parents had a big, leather chair that sat in their living room in TN.On either side of the chair are two large pockets. Apparently it became a favorite place of my little brother's. He'd sit and enjoy some good junk food and a cold beer. The chair was packed up and moved down here when the three of them moved. And it sat in storage for months. After my brother passed away, it was eventually unpacked and put into my parent's new home in the office. One day we randomly noticed that there were still things in the pockets. Candy wrappers mostly. And a cap to a bottled beer.
That chair's been unpacked for 2 years now. It sits upstairs in front of my desk, and I love it. Tonight I emptied the pockets. If it were anything else, I'd throw all the trash away immediately.
But I'll never throw them out. Because they bring back so many memories and images. I can see my brother sitting in that chair late at night, watching TV by himself. I can see him enjoying some of his favorite candies and leaning back with a beer. I can see him watching the History Channel or even late-night cartoons. I can see him playing video games or sitting there teasing my dad.
My brother was one of the most laid-back people you'd ever meet (and, on a side note, not an incredibly healthy eater ;)) He was a typical 19 year old boy and that big comfy chair was one of his favorite places in the house. To me, that chair freezes where he was at when he passed away. As long as I can sit in that chair, I can imagine him reclining in it with me. And when I lean my head back to better focus on the work on my desk, I can see him relaxing as far back as the chair would let him go. And if I reach down into those deep pockets, I can remember what an amazing person he was.

1 comment: