Saturday, June 20, 2009

What Fathers' Day is All About..

It's nearly 11 pm on the night before Father's Day. My husband is asleep as a result of a long day of fishing. I go into the kitchen and get my husband's card and sign it. I debate whether or not to include the dress clothes I have gotten him as his gift (to go along with the promotion we are anticipating soon!). I decide not to, as I'd like to get him something more sentimental than just clothes- but do not have anything yet. I think that I'll probably go to walmart tomorrow and frame a cute picture of Abbie or something. I know she still needs to make him a card, but of course we haven't had time to do that either. I always end up the night before or day of holidays/anniversaries/birthdays with gifts that just seem to lack a little. And I get him clothes WAY too much! :p Oh well, I think. I'll deal with that tomorrow.
And then of course, I realize that, despite saving every gift bag that sets foot in my door, I have nothing to put the clothes in. So I jot down on the card that gifts will come later! (i.e.- after he gets home from work tomorrow night.) Yes, he has to work on Father's Day. The joys of being in the restaurant business. :p
I then walk upstairs and into our Jack and Jill bathroom. As I pick up towels and walk over random piles of clothes, I roll my eyes. I swear I just cleaned this bathroom! I go to put his card on his bathroom sink, knowing that's the first place he'll go in the morning. But before I can, I think it best to move my hairbrush (he hates when I take stuff from my big counter top and crowd his little counter with it!). Then I see some of my mineral powder left on the counter and decide I should probably wipe that off, too. After all, who wants smudged foundation on their card envelope? I move aside the tweezers that I used to pluck my eyebrows earlier. In fact, I wipe a couple plucked brows off the counter, too. Ew. Finally, I place the card up against none other than a mucus relief medicine box and a bottle of baby sunblock. I go back, picking up hooded towels and toddler clothes, as well as all of my husband's ditched dirty laundry.I pick up the towel that was used to soak up ALL of the water my 2 year old managed to get on the floor while we were showering earlier tonight.
At some point during all of this, I realize that this truly is what parents' days are all about. After all, if it weren't for the clothes in the floor and the wife who leaves stuff all over your counter, the hooded towels and the baby sunblock, I wouldn't be putting the Father's Day card there at all. I just hope my husband sees life's simple joys in all the things that I do.
I decide that I will get up extra early and make him breakfast before he goes to work. I'll wake Abbie up and let her take it to him in bed. He deserves it. And on a mommy time saving note, that will keep us from going to wal mart and framing yet another picture that he really doesn't need. Breakfast in bed will be much more meaningful. And I'm all about avoiding a trip to the grocery store! Happy Fathers Day to me! ;)

1 comment:

  1. You are so right! Thanks for the reminder! Love the breakfast in bed idea!

    ReplyDelete