Friday, January 22, 2010

The Man On The Side of the Road..

I was driving home from Denton yesterday when I saw an elderly man, nicely dressed, standing on the side of the road holding a sign. The sign read: "I NEED A JOB". Usually, I would just think how sad that was and start brainstorming what I could do for him. But I drove on, a little perplexed.
You see, I know this man. I've seen him at least 5 times over the last 4 years, holding similar or the same sign.
The first time I saw him around the corner from where we lived, I rushed home to copy down local job agencies for him and took it to him with a $20 bill. He hugged me, and from his voice, I could tell he was intellectually disabled.
Like I said, I've seen him many times since. Always holding the sign. Always dressed nicely, usually in a blue suit. And my heart breaks for him every time. And I always say a prayer for him.
But I wonder, too. Is there more to him than my naive mind wants to think about? Could the sweet, old man be addicted to alcohol or something else? Does he have a home? How does he travel? Why can't he find a job? If he can't find a better way to get a job, what else does he have trouble getting?
And yesterday it made me think about the fact that there are somethings in this world that I just don't and probably won't ever get. They're just beyond me, despite my natural curiosity. And obviously, I can't solve everyone's problems. But I can always say a good prayer and let someone who *does* know all take care of it.

2 comments: