Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Blonde and The Red Head Eat Green!

So, I have a problem with eating vegetables. The problem is I don't. For years, the only vegetable that has entered my body is corn. However, since having Abbie, my body has been screaming at me to eat veggies. I have been craving things that I know I don't even enjoy. Add to that the fact that Abbie is imitating my distaste for anything green (or for any vegetable, really) and I knew something had to give. Ironically enough, I am SUPER anal about ensuring that Abbie gets plenty of veggies. I hide them in nearly everything since she won't eat them.
But lately, I have started finding more discreet ways to hide them. And I have been eating the disguised recipes as well. :) For example, veggie pancakes. I am IN LOVE. I puree green beans or whatever else and you can't even taste it in the pancakes. We pour a little syrup over it and neither one of us can tell that we're eating vegetables (despite the fact that the pancakes are green- lol).
I have also tried shakes/smoothies, which work out better for me than Abbie. I mix up fresh fruit, veggies, and yogurt in a blender (sometimes with flax seed oil and whey protein for mommy) and enjoy!
But I think our biggest feat would have to be that Abbie and I are both eating fresh spinach salads. We went to dinner a few nights ago with my best friend and her family. And I remembered that she had turned me on to this spinach salad a few months back, but I had never gone and bought any myself. Well, after seeing how Abbie ate the spinach with no complaints (I wanted to jump on top of that table and yell PRAISE GOD! But I didn't.) I had to go buy some. So for the last couple of days, it's been chicken salads for lunch. And I am pleasantly surprised at how much we both like the spinach more than lettuce. We have also both started eating tomatoes over the last few months (yes, it's a fruit, but it's also progress).
Now we just have to tackle brocolli, squash, peas, and maybe some zucchini. I'm so glad that both of us are headed in the right direction. I pray that I haven't damaged my body by not eating vegetables for so many years, and I will not even give her the option to do that to herself. So that's what's going on at the Garner kitchen table! :)
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment