Monday, August 3, 2009

The Terrible Two's

I am sure that one day, many many years in the future, I will look back on this blog and smile. So that is why I am posting it. Okay, maybe it is also to vent a little bit. Let me start this blog with a disclaimer. I love my daughter more than anything in the whole world. I really, really do. But most days, I think I am going to lose my mind.
If I did not watch them test her hearing in the hospital, I would swear it doesn't work. That girl completely disregards every.single.thing I say. Seriously, it has gotten to the point where I start to tell her not to do something and these are the thoughts going through my mind:
A- "Why are you even speaking?"
B- "What discipline technique are you going to use when (not if- WHEN) she doesn't listen to you?
She IGNORES me.
But I know she can hear because when I say come here, she runs. When I need to get her dressed, change her diaper, get her in the bath, get her undressed, put her to bed, get her out the door, or anything else... she runs the other way. It's a game to her, no matter how many times I tell her that it is NOT a game. Seriously, the minute I say "Abbie, let's change your diaper", she heads for the door. I chase her down for EVERYTHING.
I have to physically restrain her to brush her teeth. I did have a few techniques that were working... until she figured them out and makes me resort to holding her down to brush her teeth.
And let's not forget the lovely toddler habits. Just tonight, Abbie tee-teed through her panties and onto the stairs. No problem; we're potty training. But did she have to run her hands all through the pee pee as soon as it hit the floor? And again after we washed her hands and as I was trying to clean it up?
Of course, meal times are always pleasant. Abbie refuses to sit in or be strapped down to her booster seat and then doesn't want to sit in her high chair. She is a picky eater. I still have to puree veggies so that I can hide them in her food and she pretty much refuses to eat leftovers.
And last but not least, she is attached to me. No, that is not always a bad thing. But she has gotten to the point where she will not let me out of her sight. I will literally go upstairs to grab one item that is sitting at the top of the stairs and she has to come with me. I love that she loves me, but sometimes it is just so much. I'm the only person she wants when she is hurting, scared, tired, or in any other mood. When I pour a glass of milk, she insists on sitting on the counter. Lord help us all when I try to cook.
I know I sound like an awful, unappreciative, whiny mother.I'm not. I know that I would take my high maintenance child over so many other scenarios. Sometimes I just need to put down all of my frustrations in one place. Anyway, that's my terrible twos rant for the day. I wouldn't trade her for the world, though. If I did, I'd go insane from the quiet. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Big Hugs to you, Mama! I totally understand your pain......coming from a Mom of a two year old. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I'm Meg from DFW area moms. I too feel your pain and I have the same thoughts going through my mind with my son. I also have to chase him down at diaper changing time. Something that works sometimes is I tell him to pick a spot to lie down for the change. Naturally he picks the furthest smallest corner but hey beggars can't be choosers.

    ReplyDelete